Do you suffer from Scoliosis? Do you feel self-conscious about this and feel like you are the only one in this world to suffer from it?
Well, truth be told Scoliosis is actually pretty common and, even more reassuring, there are a lot of famous people with Scoliosis as well.
I know it’s not nice to feel happy that others suffer as well, but, here it is, a chance for you to stop feeling like you are alone in this.
Celebrities with Scoliosis
Here is a list of some of the famous people with Scoliosis. As you can see some are sportsmen and this didn’t hinder their success.
Actually, to help you understand that Scoliosis (while a serious health issue) still allowed people to become champions in various sports, I have bolded out the names of the sportsmen and dancers in our list:
- Alexandra Marinescu – Romanian Olympic Gymnast
- Ashley Argota – Actress & Musician
- Ayesha Jones – Model
- Brooke Lyons – Actress
- Carmen Lynch – Comedian
- Chanelle Johnson – Australian dancer
- Chloe Sevigny – Actress
- Catherine Oxenburg – Actress/Model
- Daryl Hannah – Actress
- Dudley Hart – Golf Player
- Elettra Wiedemann – Daughter of Isabella Rosselini
- Elizabeth Taylor – Actress
- General Douglas MacArthur
- Giacomo Leopardi – Italian poet
- Giuliana Rancic – Entertainment Journalist
- Gillian McKeith – Food Guru
- Isabella Rossellini – Actress
- James Blake – Tennis Pro
- Janet Evans – Olympic Swimmer
- Jeanette Lee – Professional Pool Player
- Jeffrey Tate – Musician
- Jenny Thompson – Swimmer
- Jessica Andrews – Country Singer
- Jessica Ashwood – Olympic Swimmer
- Jillian Weise – Actress
- Jo Beth Williams – Actress
- John Lydon / Johnny Rotten – Lead singer, Sex Pistols
- Jon Olson – Olympic Swimmer
- Julia Burgoyne – Miss America Contestant
- Katherine Southard – Miss North Carolina
- Katie Webb Pro – Professional Golfer
- Kristin Kreuk – Actress
- Kurt Cobain – Lead singer of Nirvana
- Lamar Gant – World Record Powerlifter
- Laura Dern – Actress
- Linda Blair – Actress
- Lisa Howard – Actress
- Liza Minnelli – Actress
- Lourdes Ciccone Ritchie – Madonna’s daughter
- Maritza Correia – Olympic Swimmer
- Melanie Blatt – Singer – All Saints
- Princess Eugenie – Grandaughter to the Queen (UK)
- Rebecca Romijn – Actress/Model
- Renee Russo – Actress
- Rita Simons – British Actress
- Robert Loudermilk – Tennessee Football Player
- Rowena Wallace – Australian Actress
- Sarah Michelle Gellar – Actress
- Sarah Polley – Actress
- Shailene Woodley – Actress
- Shoshana Pavett – Opera Singer
- Stacy Lewis – Golfer
- Tutankahman – Egyptian Pharaoh
- Usain Bolt – Olympic runner
- Yo-Yo Ma – Cellist
- Vanessa Williams – Actress/ Singer
- Zsa Zsa Padilla – Filipino Actress/ Singer
Interesting enough, you’ll notice a lot of swimmers in our list, which comes to show this is a great sport for someone who suffers from various skeletal issues, but, with training and dedication, a patient can actually reach Olympics status.
How common is Scoliosis?
You might be the only one in your class with Scoliosis, but it’s a pretty common spine condition, actually. Most of the patients are teenagers.
About 3 million new cases appear in the US alone every year and the majority of these cases Idiopathic Scoliosis (found in kids between 10-12 years of age).
Studies show that about 4% of the population has this condition, so you are clearly not the only one to suffer from it.
Should I worry about mild scoliosis?
Chances are that, if your Scoliosis is mild, you will not need treatment, but you should be under medical surveillance. Regular checkups, every once in a while, are enough in most cases, so that your doctor can see if your Scoliosis is not progressing.
As most patients are teenagers, in full growth, bones look different from one year to another, so does your spine. Make sure you go to your medical examinations when you are supposed to and follow your doctor’s advice.
Can you get scoliosis from slouching?
Well, as much as your mothers will hate us, you cannot get it from slouching. Scoliosis is mainly caused by genetic factors, so you cannot ‘help’ it by improper position.
Even so, a proper posture is important for your overall being. Try to discuss matters with a medical professional and find out exactly how you are supposed to position your body, during study or regular walking/exercise.
Most teenagers have an improper posture, boys are slouching as they grow faster and don’t like being so tall, compared to their peers or family members, while girls slouch to “cover” their growing breasts.
Regardless of the reason, keep your back straight and show your chest. You are gorgeous, young and vibrant, so don’t hide from the world.
Now you know few celebrities with Scoliosis, have found out that some famous people with Scoliosis became successful sportsmen and got few of your frequently asked questions answered 😉